Saturday, April 6, 2013

Series Review: Mangirl!





A team of girls with zero experience in manga editing are off and running toward their dream of creating the biggest manga magazine in Japan! They seem to do nothing but run into problems and failures...








This anime began airing in the Winter of 2013, and is thirteen episodes long. I generally don't watch anime that are under the standard 24 minutes long, but this one caught my eye even though it was just five minutes long. It was produced by Dogakobo and Earth Star Entertainment, who have also done Natsuyuki Rendezvous, the currently airing Majestic Prince, and Seiken no Blacksmith, which are all pretty good anime that I've seen. 


I found the characters to be refreshing, and easy to relate to. The head editor was completely crazy, while the one with glasses seemed normal (most of the time). The comedy was pretty good, and had me laughing at alot of parts. Also, the opening was pretty catchy, and although I liked the animation and the characters, I felt it lacked development a little bit. I'm a scrooge for animation so this is mostly why I don't watch short anime, because their quality of animation is generally lower. 

This plot has already been done by Bakuman, even though Mangirl! is a little different. My favorite episode was probably where they went to the comic store and they were sold out. The mangaka was also pretty funny when she was starving and her apartment was filled with trash because her assistant was on vacation. I do feel like this anime shows what it's like to be a manga editor and mangaka. It could be considered almost educational even, overlooking the tangents that the crazy characters go off on all the time. 


A special is scheduled to air May 24th, for episode 14. I'll definitely be looking forward to watching these crazy characters after their success in the manga world.

Animation: 7/10
Characters: 7/10
Plot: 6/10
Overall: 7/10

___________________________________________________________

 I greatly enjoyed this anime for it being short episodes. It makes me think I should try out other short anime. Do you guys have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my reviews to tell me if you like them or what I can do to make them better!