Monday, April 8, 2013

First Impression: Suisei no Gargantia (1/12)





The Human Galactic Alliance has been constantly fighting for its survival against a grotesque race of beings called "Hidiaazu." During an intense battle, the young lieutenant Redo and his humanoid mobile weapon Chamber are swallowed up into a distortion of time and space. Waking from his artificially induced hibernation, Redo realizes that he has arrived on Earth, the planet on the lost frontier. With no knowledge of the planet's history or culture, he is forced to live alongside Amy, a 15-year-old girl who serves as a messenger aboard the Gargantia fleet. 









Episode One: Castaway

One of the three anime that I have seen so far for the Spring season, Suisei no Gargantia is a surprising gem of a show that has beautiful animation. At first I wasn't sure if I'd like it, since the beginning was a little confusing and fast paced, but it ended up being really good!


The main character is named Ledo, and he is a pilot in the Galactic Alliance. From the beginning you can tell that he is good at his job, which is killing. He rarely displays a full emotion, and after a hard battle in space, he is left behind by his ship and transported with his robot to Earth. He is asleep six months, and during that time the strange inhabitants have found his robot and are trying to take it apart as "treasure". He awakens, and takes a young girl named Amy hostage. This is when the episode really gets good, at least to me. 


There's some humor mixed in with the action, and even though we didn't get to know any of the characters that much, they seem very likeable. Personally I haven't watched that many mecha animes, so this seems like an original plot to me. I seriously think the art is simply amazing, and it looks to be a great series that is upcoming in this Spring season. The only thing I can say I didn't like based off of the first episode was the fast paced beginning, and it was confusing as I said before. All in all a great kick off episode!

Animation: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Plot: 7/10
The Episode: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my reviews to tell me if you like them or what I can do to make them better!